Wednesday 9 January 2013

Health


New Strait Times January 7, 2013 spotlighted that health and fitness awareness among Malaysian is low, causing a spike in obesity and non-communicable diseases. Statistics showed that 32.7 per cent of the population suffered high blood pressure in 2011 compared with 32.2 per cent in 2006, while mental health among children aged between 5 and 9 years rose to 19.1 per cent from 12.3 per cent in 1996 and among teenagers aged 15 and 16, the figure increased to 22.2 per cent from 13.4 per cent. 

Since maintaining health and fitness is one of my retirement plans, this topic brings great interest to me. Alhamdulillah, I don't have any health problem. I have to continue maintaining my health and caring for my family so that we don't be part of the statistics.

9 health plans that I want to do:

1.   Increase vegetable and fruit intake - I love eating ulam with sambal belacan and salad with simple dressing of olive live spike with a bit rock salt and crushed black paper. My children don’t like vegetables but they love to eat fruits, so I have to buy fruits more often. 
2.   Reduce salt, sugar, oil and coconut milk in cooking - Alhamdulillah, I always cook for my family. We seldom eat out. Retirement will give me more time to plan for healthier menus. I have started replacing normal salt with rock salt in my cooking since last year. Being a sweet tooth, I really have to reduce eating cakes or sweet kueh. I have reduced using coconut milk in my cooking, by replacing it with low fat milk. 
3.   Use healthy cooking method – Steam or grill instead of frying. 
4.   Walk more – I have to start counting my steps, at least 10,000 steps per day. My house have 25 steps staircase, so going up and down more often would be good for my health. 
5.   Drink more water - I will make sure I drink at least 2 liters of water per day. I'll put a water bottle at bedside and at my office table. 
6.   Increase outdoor activities - After 5 is always outdoor except for rainy days. I usually do gardening or swimming in the afternoon and horse riding in the morning. 
7.   Get enough sleep - I always go to bed early and wake up before five. I enjoy how the day slowly gets brighter, when the midnight blue turns to lighter blue, and see how mother nature gets painted in incredible colors. What a glorious day! 
8.   Perform medical check-ups every six month - My last medical check-up was in May 2012. I have to repeat it soon. 
9.   Make a lot of prayer from Allah to give my family and me good health.


……... "My Lord! Grant me the power and ability that I may be grateful for Your Favour which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds, such as please You, and make my off-spring good. Truly, I have turned to You in repentance, and truly, I am one of the Muslims (submitting to Your Will)." [Al-Ahqaf: 15]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home