Tuesday 1 January 2013

Retirement Plan

Soon, I will achieve the next milestone in life, “Retire Young, Retire Rich". Yes, I will retire at the tender age of 49, ha, ha, ha... still young, has not reach 5 series. I pray to Allah, so that I can start reaping the benefits of being financially independent. Retirement doesn't have to be seen as an end, but as the start of new opportunities.

Insya'Allah, after retirement, I will have more time in my hands to appreciate life, and explore new opportunities.

Here are my plans for the next milestone in life:
  1. Stay physically active – I will continue horse riding with my beloved husband at Kelantan Polo and Riding Club, and swimming with my friends.
  2. Exercise my memory - At this age, I feel that my short term memory is weakening. I seldom forget people's name, telephone numbers and etc. Insha’Allah, I will go for Al-Quran memorization class. Alhamdulillah, I have been reading Al-Quran every day, repeat it many times from I was first finish the Al-Quran at the age of 9 years old. I only memorize few surahs, but now I want to be Hafeezah - a lady that memorize the whole Al-Quran. Insha’Allah.
  3. Learn Arabic, the language of Al-Quran - I am going to register Arabic class at Nilam Puri, Kelantan. I have been postponing this plan many times already. I have been reading Al-Quran since I was 6 years old but as a Malay, I am good at reading it but I don't directly know the meaning and lessons from my recitation because I don't understand Arabic. I always have to read the translation to appreciate the Al-Quran. I used to read the Malay translation of Al-Quran, that I received as a present for Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia Best Student from Sekolah Menengah Sains Pulau Pinang, in 1982. Then I read the English translation that I bought during my umrah visit in Madinah in 1999. Now I am reading the Malay translation and tafsir that I received as a present from my Ph.D. student who graduated in 2009.
  4. Stay up-to-date with technology -  As a Computer Lecturer since 13th July 1987, right after my graduation in M.Sc. in Computer Information Systems from University of Miami, I started by teaching COBOL Programming (I am pretty sure Y Generation know nothing about COBOL). Then I have taught C, C++, Java, Data Structure, Database Management System, Management Information System, Software Engineering and IT Project Management. Since 1st January 2003, after my transfer from School of Computer Sciences to School of Health Sciences, I have been teaching Health Informatics - the applications of ICT in Health and Medical, to Health Sciences students. I was pioneering the application of E-learning using Moodle in my university. Now, the university is using Moodle 2.0 as Learning Management System for the whole campus. Going for retirement, I start blogging, the thing that I always wanted to do but never have the opportunity because I was busy targeting the university's Key Performance Indicator (KPI), which to me was not quite fulfilling and it didn't really give me satisfaction. Yes, I will explore opportunities as blogger.
  5. Maintain my garden - Alhamdulillah, I have huge garden with biodiversity. I want to start making compose to be environment friendly. All these while my gardener always burn the thrash and garden derivatives. Open fire is not good for environment, I know that!
  6. Relax and take vacations - Insha’Allah, this year I want to go to Beijing to eyewitness and experience one of the seven wonders of earth, the Great Wall of China. I will also attend my daughter's convocation at University of Sydney in April, 2013. Yes, my daughter has graduated with High Distinction in B.Sc. Architecture. I am very proud of her. She is smart and has always been working hard. Congratulation dear. I pray to Allah, so that my daughter will maintain her excellence in Masters of Architecture programme at the same university. Good luck dear.
  7. Read more - I already have vast collections of books in my home library. I will continue reading books that I have not read or have just read half way through.
  8. Do volunteer work - I will start volunteer work at my sons' school, Sekolah Kebangsaan Islah, Kota Bharu and my daughter's school, Sekolah Menengah Sains Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra, Kota Bharu. I will see the headmasters soon to discuss about volunteer works that they require.
So, life doesn't stop when you retire. It is a wonderful time to start anew. I hope it will give me opportunity to learn, grow, achieve new successes, start new adventures, and meet new friends. It is the beginning of a brand new life filled with wonder, empowerment, and freedom.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home